Saturday, July 28, 2012

Change

Yesterday marked 4 weeks since we said goodbye to my in-laws. The goodbye was extremely difficult and full of many tears but the couple weeks that followed were not as bad as I thought they would be. I think we were all in denial and had it in our minds that they were all just gone on vacation and life would return to normal soon. But this last week it really sunk in. Six people that were a part of every important event in our life are gone. Mae Mae's house is no longer just around the corner. Katie asked every day for the first two weeks to go to Mae Mae's house and Allie would pipe up and say "No, Katie. They live far away in Alaska and we can't see them unless we get on an airplane and those cost a lot of money." Katie has finally stopped asking. I tried showing Allie pictures of their new place in Alaska and she frowned and said "I don't like it. I want them here with me," and then she broke down in tears; so I haven't been showing her any more pictures.

Watching my husband cope with the loss has been even harder. He sees fishing pictures and hears the stories and I see that he wants to share that with his family but we chose to stay here out of the necessity of keeping his job and knowing we couldn't leave our friends and family that are here.

I am hoping this adjustment becomes easier with time and we are drawing close to our friends and family here during this new season in our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment